Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Changing the tune of the national anthem

Other anthems

Posted by BBQ Platypus on 2006-07-25 14:57:56

I like the Italian one. Kinda bouncy, and sounds like it was originally either an informal choral or a drinking song, as all great anthems should be.

Posted by Cragslad on 2006-07-26 06:38:44

Somebody once described the Star Spangled Banner as "words noone can remember to a tune noone can sing." That about says it. I think it's a pretty cheesy song. But then, it is a national anthem. Only ever sounded good when Hendrix ripped it out.

Posted by Lambert on 2006-07-26 08:37:33

Top marks for putting Ireland's Soldier's song and Scotland's Flower of Scotland as separate and not including England/Britain (interchangable). "God save the king/queen" is the durgeist most horrible national anthem in the existence of man and as a republican and Scot it always amuses me to see people singing about a Queen who live off the taxpayers money (hey that's me as well!!!) and how they usually leave the 3rd or so verse out - which is about killing Scots - VERY Nice indeed I think you'll agree.

So to anyone not from where I am, I hope that's insightful - Good Poll!

Posted by ronaldinho llew on 2006-08-04 08:25:39

I don't think anyone can call God Save the Queen one of the best anthems in the world! In fact it's one of the worst! The Flower of Scotland has one downside, it's not sung in your language. I feel an anthem must be sung by the native language! I'm Welsh. Despite the fact that only 1/3 of the population speak welsh, Hen wlad fy nhadau is the anthem. Go to youtube and type in Mongolia anthem, you'll then see why it's one of the best.

P.S. I think the South African anthem's the best in the world. Makes me cry everytime, Hen Wlad fy nhadau doesn't do that to me!

Posted by LP4eva on 2007-04-18 09:24:15

lol.. i'm one of the few on here that's NOT American!!

i'm Australian :) though i've been to America.. once.