Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

They like Jesus, but hate the church.

They like Jesus etc.

Posted by Donald Dumpsfiels on 2007-06-09 21:24:51

The Vatican has a statue of Moses with horns. It is is my college art history book. The teacher was too embarrassed to discuss it so most students never looked at it. Maybe Pope Benny and the Jets will try to deal with reality and apologize.

Posted by dave3 on 2007-06-11 00:38:11

You're incorrect about the Moses statue.The horns are not meant to indicate anything sinister...at that point in history--the Renaissance--the concept of the evil red,horned Satan had not been fully formed.This explains why guys in red pyjamas with horns don't look very threatening,in much renaissance art. When the old testament was translated from Greek into Latin,there was a breakdown in how the word meaning 'shone'(as in "Moses's face shone,coming down from the mountain...,etc;)had been translated from the original Hebrew text.In Latin,this word corresponded to the word 'horn'.I'm not suggesting the whole business with the horns in Christian culture,stemmed from this misunderstanding...I'm saying it happened because horns were a long-recognized symbol of pagan fertility,or something-or-other.

Posted by Donald Dumpsfiels on 2007-06-13 00:33:13

You are absolutely right but. The typical viewer of the statue is not told all of that. He just sees the statue and thinks that the infallible Pope wants us to believe that Jews have horns. My art teacher skipped the explanation so her students would do the art course and at the end realize that the art history book would be great to keep around. Kids would flip through it and see the statue of Moses with horns. They would believe that Jews had horns or were demons.

Posted by proud lefty on 2007-08-07 15:01:53

No the church did believe the Jews had horns, it just jammed them into ghettos and made them where yellow hats (and made prayers for their conversion and will soon again, how thoughtful) And we wonder where Hitler got his ideas from...

Posted by dave3 on 2007-08-08 01:40:37

And Atlantis got its ideas from Landru.

The good of the body is the prime directive.The body must be cleansed.