Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Evolution: Theory or Fact?

Be thankful for the FREEDOM to believe want you want.

Posted by dagda on 2004-10-01 16:51:30

Before I start two things: 1)Please, Please, Please! read the facts before assuming arguements-if you have not read the Bible or any religious text or "The evolution of Man", "The origin of species" or "alas, poor darwin" how can you possibly debate them? This results in the distortion of the work and generalizations. 2) Remember- there are more religions than Chirstianity in the World.

It is not impossible to believe in Chirstianity and Evolution. Keep in mind that the Chirstian Bible has been altered many times through translations or manipulation (the King James Version).

Many Chirstians I know (including theologians) believe or can reason that the passages, that I have listed below from the two versions of creation in Genesis, mean that 'created in God's image' means that we have a soul, ability to reason, not that we take on God's phyical form (because God does not have one) and does not rule out the evolution of the Hominid or primate species.

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27

and

"the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became living" Genesis 2:7

For those who believe the literal truth of the Bible--do you also believe that the Jewish were freed from salvery in Isreal overnight? Or that you are reborn the instant you are Baptised? These processes take a lot longer than what is introduced in the Bible.
The way in which these acts are depicted in the Bible are to introduce God's process; that God has a plan. I a way it is forshadowing the rest of the Bible.

Regarding evolution-this too has been manipulated from what Darwin intended. Evolution is a Theory that is too often presented as solid fact to young children, without the difference between fact and theory being explained. Most students except it as true simply to get an "A" on a test, they don't stop to question it.

In the end both are theories and both can be supported and both can be questioned by advocates of the other.

By the way, we have creationists (though only Chirstians) and evolutionists represented here, anyone care to argue for the interventionists?

Argue or agree with me...my faith in God and archaeological and biological evidence of evolution grows stronger when questioned, and both points of view can stand up to critics. Just remember that it is not a person but a point of view that is debated.

Posted by macro on 2005-01-13 05:48:52

I mostly agree with you. Evolution and faith can be treated as two different pieces of information, with different intents. Faith is meant to help you make personal and interpersonal descisions: how you deal with people, and what you should and should not do. Evolution help scientists to predict what to expect from biological experiments, and how to deal with endangered species, etc. All people have to do is use the right information in the right context. Evolution can't really tell you how to live your life and make decisions you won't regret. And faith can't really tell you how to develop a new antibiotic for bacterial infections.

Posted by chucksmom on 2005-01-13 06:14:01

So, there is no problem-Faith doesn't have anything to do w/Evolution.

Another fundie xtian lie exposed!

Posted by Cragslad on 2006-03-23 19:34:20

Macro has a great point. Mythology exists to guide us through this world, show us how to live, explain our place in the cosmos, to help us belong. Think about the concerns that a caveman would have. He's not trying to understand the physical mechanism by which lightning is formed. He's trying to make sense of life! He's looking for a purpose, for meaning. That's what I imagine, anyway. No, I've never been a caveman, so I don't really know. The point being, mythology is something that springs from the depths of the human mind (I do not believe people consciously invent myths) to answer existential questions. Humans do not create myths to explain physical processes. I think primitive people are inclined to take the physical processes of the world at face value, and not ponder HOW IT HAPPENS so much as WHAT IT MEANS. For that reason, I don't like it when people knock mythology. It's a fundamental process of human beings, like dreaming, and it is fantastically creative. We look down on it because we have the benefit of centuries of science, none of which most of us played any role in discovering. Had we lived thusands of years ago, we'd be EXACTLY like them. BUT, it most certainly is not science, nor did it ever set out to be.

Posted by Cragslad on 2006-03-23 19:39:51

"Regarding evolution-this too has been manipulated from what Darwin intended. Evolution is a Theory that is too often presented as solid fact to young children, without the difference between fact and theory being explained. Most students except it as true simply to get an "A" on a test, they don't stop to question it."

I agree - for most people who believe in evolution, it's as much an article of faith as the Biblical story is for creationists. However, anyone can look into it for themselves and read the scads and scads of evidence for evolution. They can look for the "evidence" for creationsism too, and come up with nothing but specious attacks on the gaps in evolutionary theory...as if a few things we don't know blows the whole theory out of the water. nevermind the complete absence of any evidence whatsoever for the Genesis story.

As for Darwin's theory being "mainpulated..." it's not like that. What's actually happened is...it's evolved. Darwin was right in his basic idea. He was wrong on a few details. Fine, cool, we change the theory a bit to match what we now know, and the march goes on.