Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Evolution: Theory or Fact?

why can't they both be right?

Posted by FruitKake94 on 2004-09-06 06:53:38

Im not Christain, but for thoes that are, ponder this: god created the earth in 7? days, thats god time, you can't expect it to be the same as 7? days on earth. besides, god didnt make light for a couple of days, so how do we really know the length of thoes days? we dont. in all probability, the creation of the earth could have taken millions of years. during thoes years, the earth could have started off as evolutionist believe, and the earth could have evolved, till it became what creationist believe it to be. I know i didnt say it that well, but i hope you get my point, and if you want to know what i mean just rent "Inherit the Wind" Clarence Darrow? says what i tried to say, perfect.

Posted by Lillymon on 2004-09-09 15:06:15

Im not Christain, but for thoes that are, ponder this: god created the earth in 7? days, thats god time, you can't expect it to be the same as 7? days on earth.

Yep, that's the Day/Age Creationist argument. Biblical support comes from a verse that states a day to the Lord is as 1000 years to man. Still, even a 7000 year creation wouldn't come close to accounting for why science shows the planet Earth to be billions of years old.

besides, god didnt make light for a couple of days, so how do we really know the length of thoes days? we dont. > in all probability, the creation of the earth could have taken millions of years. during thoes years, the earth could have started off as evolutionist believe, and the earth could have evolved, till it became what creationist believe it to be. I know i didnt say it that well, but i hope you get my point, and if you want to know what i mean just rent "Inherit the Wind" Clarence Darrow? says what i tried to say, perfect.

Sounds like a mixture of Day/Age Creationism, Theistic Evolution and even some Deism all fused into one viewpoint.

Just some points to mention:

1) If God did create the plants before he brought forth the light, anything more than a short gap would mean all of the plants would've died. Unless you swap the two events around, the 'days' really can't have been much longer than 24 hours.

2) Millions of years wouldn't account for 'old Earth' evidence. You'd need billions of years for creation. Why would God take that long?

3) While thestic evolution can be harmonized with the methodological scientifc evidence with no trouble, what does it really leave God to do? Guide evolution behind the scenes? We've seen microevoltion guided by natural events comparable to the theory of relativity or even the theory of gravity. Does God guide those too?

Either way, the type of 'guiding' God does leaves no evidence and makes it look like events merely came together by chance. Occam's Razor says the simplest solution is usually the correct one, and the simplest one in this event is to assume things happened exactly as they look. Chance events coming together to form this planet as it is with no divine intervention.

Posted by jellopeacemaker14 on 2006-05-04 12:49:35

in the original version(the king james translation that i cant seem to understand os i read the modern translation) says there was a day & a night & a day & a night until seven days were gone so it is real days.there is no compromise

Posted by shaqfan11 on 2006-05-14 04:51:13

How can God's existence be explained?

There's been alot of talk about how evolution can't explain everything and how God can fill in the gaps in evolution. The theory of evolution attempts to explain why the OBSERVABLE process of evolution occurs. Evolution doesn't attempt to explain the origins of life. The furthest it goes is to say that all life shares a common ancestor. I'm not sure I agree, but it might be close to accurate. Anyway, the idea of life coming out of some "primordial soup" is pure conjecture, but that shouldn't be used against the theory of evolution since it doesn't have anything to do with the process of evolution at all. Many Christians might say that the first life on earth what created by God and then it evolved into what it is now. That is fine. The one question that science can't answer and never will is this: why is there something rather than nothing? The Christians will answer the question be saying that God created everying. The problem with this is: Where did God come from? It makes no sense to say that God created himself. Either something else created God (In which case you couldn't call Him God, because technically God can't be created), or God is eternal, meaning He has always existed and will always exist. However, that still doesn't really explain why God exists rather than not. So my question is, why does God have to exist at all? Can't the universe just be eternal?

Posted by Cragslad on 2006-05-17 14:30:06

"in the original version(the king james translation that i cant seem to understand os i read the modern translation) says there was a day & a night & a day & a night until seven days were gone so it is real days.there is no compromise"

I can never understand why you fundies insist God is so pedantic and literal-minded. How do you know he doesn't mean "day" as in "the day of the dinosaurs" or "back in my day." i.e. an ERA. He's the creator of the frickin universe, I figure he's entitled to some poetic license.

And anyway...if you really wanna know what the Bible says, start taking some classes in Ancient hebrew, Aramaic and Greek...and really understand the meanings of the words you read as they were understood at the time.