Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

What is a Graven Image?

exodus 20:4

Posted by Laura Stapleton on 2003-10-22 02:32:02

I have read and studied and re-read this scripture.I even ask my husband what he thought it meant.He said it looks like you should not re-Creat anything that God has Created,for he is a Jealous GOD.This my belief too!So I started surfing the net,to see if anyone else believes this is the meaning if Exodus 20:4.I have been slowly getting rid of things in my home that I feel would be in this category,I didn't realize how much I had in Idols and re-created things of Gods Creation! God Bless, Laura

Posted by Predator on 2004-02-09 20:29:26

Laura, Sorry for the delay in answering your post. Thank you very much for your input on graven images. I got what you said about the idea of "re-creating" something created by God. Best wishes and God bless you too. Bill.

========== In Reply To ========== I have read and studied and re-read this scripture.I even ask my husband what he thought it meant.He said it looks like you should not re-Creat anything that God has Created,for he is a Jealous GOD.This my belief too!So I started surfing the net,to see if anyone else believes this is the meaning if Exodus 20:4.I have been slowly getting rid of things in my home that I feel would be in this category,I didn't realize how much I had in Idols and re-created things of Gods Creation! God Bless, Laura

Posted by jedbel on 2005-12-31 04:08:42

Hi Laura, I felt compelled to contact you after reading your post since I have been observing the second commandment as I beleive you have understood it, all my life. I am interested in corresponding with you since as you probably know not many people interpret the second commandment this way. I belong to a church that teaches that not only are we not allowed to worship images we are also not allowed to have them. Feel free to write back I am extremely intrested in hearing from you. God Bless You

Posted by sgissin on 2006-06-17 02:50:43

Laura, once someone is saved by the grace of God, that person is no longer under law of sin and death. That is the Good News. People, who are not yet saved are still under the law - the law applies to them who are not saved. GAL 3.1: "O Foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth . . . This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (3,13) Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law"

3:24 "Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster."

Once a person is saved, not only are they not under the, they can not sin anymore - without the law, there is no sin.

GAL 2:21 "I do not frustrate the grace of God; for if righteousness come from by the law, then Christ is dead in vain."

I hope this message from Jesus helps lighten your load.

MAT 11:30 "For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

JOHN 14:6 "I am the way, the truth, and the life."

JOHN 8:32 "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

JOHN 8:34 "Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin."

JOHN 8:36 "If the son therfore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed."

JOHN 8:45 "And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not."

JOHN 16:33 "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."