Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

What is a Graven Image?

My thoughts

Posted by Stu2000 on 2003-09-03 10:01:18

I always understood the second commandment as prohibiting worship of idols, so you could create an image of a tree or something, but you're not permitted to worship one;

"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God..." (Exodus 20:4-5)

As I understand the word idol it is "someone who is admired and respected very much" (Cambridge English Dictionary).

Posted by A&Wrootbeer on 2004-11-10 22:03:53

The Ark of the Covenant

I haven't heard anyone mention this, so I will. The Ark of the Covenant, which making was part of the instruction God gave Moses, had two Cherubim statues on top, flanking the Mercy Seat. Among the intructions for the appointment of the temple were other images of things from heaven and earth. God gave Moses these instructions. These objects were not intended to be worshiped, but to direct worship and glory to God. This would imply that the Second Commandment forbids only worshiping idols, not making statues or other representations.