Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

How to wear flipflops to school?

How To React

Posted by R.J. on 2017-03-19 21:58:34

You are now 20 and at college. Always respect your mom and her feelings but you are both adults now and should talk this out as adults. Just as much as you should respect her, she needs to respect you too and your wishes in harmless matters such as the type of footwear.

Were you restricted or punished somehow when younger growing up for types of clothing you chose to wear and that still challenges you today?

Posted by Paulmaxalex on 2017-03-20 04:28:59

You should take this challenge: If she says no to flip flops, go barefoot instead, than she will allow flip flops :-)

Posted by Durmi on 2017-03-20 17:41:01

No, I weren't punished or restricted. Instead, when I was younger, I didn't want to show off my feet, I can"t remember why. Though I always liked barefoot, but somehow the barefooting got sleep, until now.

Posted by R.J. on 2017-03-24 16:25:06

Hi Durmi,

Maybe Paul is correct in saying that you mum would accept flipflops if she thought the alternative would be you going barefoot. I would think however that professors at your college would not want a 20 y/o student in class barefoot, so that might pose a problem beyond just your mum's feelings.

If you didn't like showing off your feet, then what do you think changed your attitude to now want to expose your feet in just flipflops? Was your mum's objection to you wearing flipflops when younger just the fact she wouldn't buy them for you OR the fact that you didn't want to show off your feet so she thought flipflops when younger was a waste of money since you wouldn't want to wear them?

Since you say there was no punishment or restriction growing up and the fact you are now in college and age 20, why do you think mum would object very much now or how do you think she would react since apparently she wouldn't punish or restrict you if you bought flipflops.

Posted by Durmi on 2017-03-25 21:08:14

Hi R.J.

You are right, my Mum thinks that I don't like flipflops.

Last summer, I once attempted pool sliders, but when Grandma told her what happened: (Oh my god, my grandson wears pool sliders when going to the town house!). So, Mum just looked so... excited? (Grandma told me).

So the problem is - family attitude towards showing off feet.

In summer, when it's blazing outside (above 40 C), my bedroom is just cool (26 C), Grandma keeps telling me that my feet look so cold, so I should wear socks...

But this year, I'm gonna change this.