Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Parenting and Spanking

Response To Bob

Posted by bob76 on 2018-10-26 02:42:45

Flash,

Early in the "I was hardly ever spanked" topic, when I first talked about the argument that I had with my father about not going to church, I jokingly said "I was stubborn (maybe because I hadn't been properly spanked?)" and I think Rick was picking up on that. I don't think he was seriously saying that my life would have been better if I'd been spanked/whipped as a teenager (or was he?).

You're right that even if I'd gone to church to keep my parents happy eventually they would have figured out that I was no longer a believing Christian, and keeping up appearances with them would have felt dishonest. At least the way it played out it was out in the open.

I've seen "Godspell" but I don't like it as much as "Jesus Christ Superstar". When I was 13 my parents bought a record with a collection of songs from it and I drove my mom crazy playing it over and over until I wore it out. They bought a two record set with most of the songs, and I think they limited how often I could listen to it. I have that version on CD now and also the movie soundtrack, which has a couple of additional songs. I listen to both of them every now and then.

By the way, the movie version of "Jesus Christ Superstar" was banned in Rhodesia because Judas was played by a black actor. The government said the movie would inflame race relations.

Bob

Posted by flash gordon on 2018-10-27 01:46:18

Bob,

I guess we can let Rick chime in when he decides to reply, but I think in a recent post he said that you might have behaved differently in the confrontation with your dad about going to church if you'd been physically punished as a teenager. He has told me that my attitude would have been better if I had been physically punished also.

I really don't agree, nor do I think it's would be a desirable outcome even if he were right. I think it's good for kids to be allowed to make their own choices to a degree when they are still protected and the cost of bad choices can be contained.

That's funny that your music drove your mom crazy. That's pretty typical teenager stuff. My mom hated the music that was popular when I was that age. But I love the music from my youth. It always takes me back to the time and place when it was popular.

I remember "Godspell" was a fun and uplifting play. I saw a local performance of it when I was 14. I don't remember it well enough to compare it to "Jesus Christ Superstar," which I remember a lot better because I studied it in religion class and know a lot of songs from the soundtrack.

That's not surprising that the movie was banned in Rhodesia. That was a crazy system and the sad part is that what has replaced it is even worse. That's what happens when people are more interested in revenge than in living well.

Posted by R.J. on 2018-10-31 12:58:40

Thanks for your thoughts. All I expressed was mine & with respect to any differences there may have been. Probably best not to chime in as Flash suggests and leave the conversation to others.