Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Parenting and Spanking

I was hardly ever spanked

Posted by flash gordon on 2018-10-23 21:02:03

Bob,

I never really considered my speeding tickets to be brushes with the law, but I can understand why they might have thought of them that way. Some people who have gotten tickets carry a grudge against the police, but I am not that type. I accept responsibility for my decisions and know that the tickets I got were my fault, not the fault of the police. And since getting tickets never really bothered me anyway, there's little reason for me to have a grudge against law enforcement.

Now that you are talking about it, what you did driving around for years with no license, and then deceiving your parents about it, was far more badass than my hiding a couple of rinky-dink tickets from my parents...:)

It's said that the best defense is a good offense, so in that sense, complaining about the injustice of having to write that essay was a good strategy. That's something I didn't get at that age. Even when I got a detention that may have been unfair, I was still afraid that I would get punished further if my parents found out, so I just quickly served it and didn't tell them. Once I had accumulated a bunch of detentions, the stakes for me in keeping them hidden increased, because if they had been called by the dean and the whole thing revealed, I would have been in deep trouble. Luckily, that didn't come to pass. :)

Posted by bob76 on 2018-10-23 22:32:55

Flash, I didn't drive for years without a license. It was more like a couple of months: long enough for me to get my learner's permit, practice driving, buy my parents' car, practice some more, and take my driving test, which I passed. The part of the driving test that I was most worried about was parallel parking.

One thing I didn't want my parents to find out about in high school was the time when the whole class was caught cheating in biology. That might have been rare example of them punishing me at home for something that happened at school, since in that instance I wasn't punished at school. Luckily they didn't get a note about it from the school.

Bob

Posted by flash gordon on 2018-10-24 00:02:17

Bob,

OK, I understand. I was trying to make you more of a badass.

You seem to have a narrow bad streak -- the cheating, the driving illegally. I like it...:) The bad stuff you actually did could have gotten you into more serious trouble than average. You were lucky not to have gotten caught.

Posted by bob76 on 2018-10-24 02:08:39

A bit of luck never hurts. It wouldn't have been fun getting caught driving without a license.

Posted by flash gordon on 2018-10-24 09:55:24

True, you got lucky on that one and the biology class cheating. In both cases, the penalty would have been far worse than a run of the mill speeding ticket or school infraction, but you got away with them.

I didn't get busted for the worst things I did either. Probably my biggest infraction at school was to cut a whole day once, late in my senior year. Considering that I got almost 2 weeks of detention for cutting my afternoon classes when I got drunk at lunch, I would have really gotten slammed for that, and my parents would have been called for sure. Since I had been getting in trouble sporadically since the first week of senior year, and had piled up a healthy number of detention hours, it would not have been pretty if that whole record had been exposed. Thinking about it now, it was stupid to take that risk, but somehow I got away with it.

In terms of driving, I didn't get caught for the worst things I did either, though it was pretty rare that I did anything worse than routine speeding.

Did your family really razz you for that speeding ticket you got on your way to your sister's wedding? That must have been pretty funny. And it's f&@king hilarious that you got another one the next morning. If one of my buddies did that, I'd take him out to a fancy dinner to celebrate!