Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Parenting and Spanking

I was hardly ever spanked

Posted by flash gordon on 2018-10-21 14:41:06

Bob,

I'm impressed with your driving record! With 10 tickets, you surpass my record. I actually don't think I've gotten that many tickets, about 6 in 40 years of driving. I know guys in their 20s who have gotten more than that. I would definitely get more tickets if I drove more but I take public transit to work and my driving is mainly on the weekends.

It's pretty cool that you got a ticket on the way to the wedding and another one the next morning. That shows a certain defiance of rules and persistence in disobeying even after getting nailed. I like that...:)

I once got 2 tickets within 10 minutes. They were my first 2 tickets actually, the ones I was telling you about before when I was still living with my parents and needed to intercept the mail from the courts so they wouldn't find out about them. It was pretty funny. I felt a little stupid to allow myself to get nailed again so soon, but it didn't really bother me too much.

One time, I was riding with my buddy to Boston through Connecticut (he was driving) and he got one pretty big ticket and came within inches of getting 3 more tickets on that drive. There was saturation enforcement that day and he refused to slow down. The first incident was a really close call; the cop actually came after him with lights flashing, but then must have gotten another call that took priority so he ended the pursuit. About 15 minutes after that, we went right into a speed trap and my buddy got nailed and got an expensive ticket for about 25 mph over the speed limit. He was back up to 25 mph over the limit before the ink on the ticket was even dry, and had 2 more close calls in the next hour or so. Through it all, he kept us his speed, which I admired. He had a set of brass balls that day.

I would say it's a bit of an overstatement to say I get a thrill out of breaking traffic laws at this point. I think it's more fair to say that (a) I enjoy the sensation of speed and driving unimpeded on a relatively open road at high speed; and (b) I derive some enjoyment and satisfaction from knowing that I am violating a rule and running the risk of getting into some trouble. Speeding also keeps the trip more interesting and keeps a driver more mentally alert, because you always have to be on the lookout for cops and ready to slow down if necessary. I actually think that drivers who judiciously speed (as I do, not recklessly) are better drivers than the nervous nellies who are terrified to exceed the limits, or those who are unaware of what they are doing even if they happen to be following the speed limit.

Posted by bob76 on 2018-10-21 21:08:56

Flash,

Thinking about this some more, I don't think I was stopped as many as ten times for speeding. Some times that I've been stopped have been for other things, like a burned out headlight and the unsafe lane change that I mentioned. One time I was stopped because I was wearing headphones to listen to music. I haven't always been given a ticket when I've been stopped. Sometimes I've just gotten a warning.

Two speeding tickets within ten minutes of each other! That's impressive.

Bob

Posted by flash gordon on 2018-10-21 23:02:22

Bob,

Thanks man! I like your respect for my driving record! That was a long time ago. The tickets were in two different jurisdictions, so I had to deal with two courts simultaneously. And then I got a warning letter from the DMV about my accumulation of points, threatening to take away my license if I continued to accumulate points.

I didn't get another ticket for a few years after that. For that period, I got a ticket every few years, but now it's less frequently. I've actually been very lucky and have no right to complain. There have been so many times that I could have and should have gotten a ticket, but somehow didn't. When I actually do get one, I accept it with good humor, joking with certain of my friends about it.

When you got the two tickets at the time of your sister's wedding, how did you handle it? Did you go to court or just mail in the fine? I've done it both ways -- I've gone to court a few times but I have also mailed in the fine. Believe it or not, I have enjoyed the times I've gone to court. It's funny to sit there and listen to all the stories people give the judge or prosecutor while I am waiting my turn. Last time I went to court, I was almost disappointed that they called my case so quickly; I would have liked to stay longer and listen more!

Posted by bob76 on 2018-10-22 01:31:05

I've always mailed in the fines for my speeding tickets. It would have been inconvenient to go to court since the tickets were issued in other states, usually hundreds of miles from where I live. I've never been in court for anything that I've done. I went in for jury duty a few years ago, but I wasn't selected or even questioned. I just filled out a form, then watched as other prospective jurors were questioned.

Posted by bob76 on 2018-10-22 12:53:30

Flash,

Going back to something you said earlier, how old were you when you were slapped by your parents? Do you remember what you said or did to get slapped, and who slapped you? Were you the only one who was slapped or were your siblings also slapped?

I'm not comfortable with the idea of slapping kids on the face. If they're going to be physically punished it should be on the bottom. Slapping seems like something which would be done in a moment of anger without due thought being given to whether the child deserved to be punished and what the punishment should be. What are your thoughts about that?

Bob