Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Parenting and Spanking

I was hardly ever spanked

Posted by flash gordon on 2018-10-20 21:34:36

Bob,

I was a pretty careful driver when I first got my license. The stakes were too high and I didn't want to get into any trouble that would have meant the termination of my driving privileges. I guess you were right to drive very carefully when you had your learner's permit with no licensed driver in the car with you since you would have been in a lot of trouble if you had been pulled over. Why did it take you so long to get a license?

When I ran the red lights and went up the one way streets the wrong way, we always checked the area out first to make sure there was nobody around. It was late at night with little to no traffic. It's not as risky as it sounds. To do that without proper care would have been extremely stupid and reckless. I'm a pretty careful person.

I think there comes an age when you have to get out of your parents' house, even if they are pretty reasonable. You just need to have your own space, and you don't want to follow other people's rules. My parents were good in that they treated me like an adult, and I could do pretty much what I wanted, even in the later years of high school. Of course, they could sometimes be annoying but they weren't too bad. Even so, I was very happy to move out and get my own place.

I will check out your other topics.

Posted by flash gordon on 2018-10-20 21:37:59

Bob76's quote

My Dad always said that if any of us "kids" (we're all adults) moved in with him and my Mom we'd have to follow their rules. That's fair, I think, and it would have been up to us to decide whether to live there under those conditions.

None of my siblings or I ever lived with our parents after the age of 18, although we did visit for up to a week at a time. I imagine that the rules we'd have had to follow would be similar to the implied rules (never stated explictly, just understood) during visits. Help out with household chores, keep the place clean, be polite, let our parents know if we'd be away from home for an extended period of time - that sort of thing. If we were living there instead of just visiting then we'd probably be expected to pay rent and pay a share of household expenses, according to our ability to pay.

I would never have accepted any kind of punishment from my parents after I was 21. If I broke the rules I'd expect to be told to shape up or ship out. But if they'd tried to ground me, let alone spank me (!!!) I would have left, even if it meant living in a homeless shelter for a while. I'm an adult and have no desire to be a teenager again.

I agree. I was never punished when I lived with my parents for a little while as an adult. I didn't have a curfew and didn't have specific rules.

I'll also say -- there's some weird stuff posted in those other threads. Lots of craziness on this site.

Posted by bob76 on 2018-10-21 03:07:14

Flash,

When I turned 16 in Rhodesia I got a learner's permit, which let me ride a motorcycle by myself or drive a car with a licensed driver in the front seat. My dad gave me a few driving lessons but I wasn't in any great hurry to get my license. Then I unexpectedly had to leave Rhodesia before my 17th birthday and live with my aunt and uncle to avoid having to register for the draft because of a new law that was passed.

I started 12th grade in the U.S. after the start of the school year, so it was too late to sign up for driver's ed. I had another opportunity to take it during the summer after I graduated from high school, but I dropped out after the first week in order to go on a fishing trip with my aunt and uncle. When I went to college I didn't really need a license. I lived near campus and could walk or take a bus to most places I wanted to go to.

After I graduated from college I went to work for the university and shared a nearby apartment and later a house with some friends, but eventually I decided that it would be nice to be able to drive places instead of being stuck on campus, so I got my learner's permit and convinced one of my friends to give me driving lessons. He stopped after I made a bad decision once at an intersection and he feared for his safety. My parents sold me their car for $1,000 since they were upgrading to a new one. I practiced on my own for a while and when I thought I was ready I took my driving test and got my license. Finally!

You're right about the weird stuff that's posted on this site. A lot of people take advantage of the fact that they're anonymous and post fantasy stories as if they were real. It's hard to know what to believe here. I'm interested in reading about people's real experiences and opinions.

Bob

Posted by flash gordon on 2018-10-21 03:37:12

Bob,

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing it. I was the opposite in that I wanted to get my,license quickly. I got my learner's permit on my 16th birthday, started driver's education classes a month later, and got my license 3-1/2 months after I got my learner's permit. I had a license my last 2 years of high school.

When did you become a habitual speeder? How many speeding tickets have you gotten? You're pretty lucky to have gotten all your tickets out of state. My last speeding ticket, about 5 years ago, was out of state, but all my other tickets were in the same state where I held my license. So I always picked up the points.

I seldom get tickets anymore. I've had 2 speeding tickets in the last 20 years, and 6 or 7 in my 40 years of driving.

I am driving to Boston for Thanksgiving and I want to time the drive to give me some good speeding opportunities. :)

I agree about wanting to hear about real experiences. Some of the stuff on this site is pretty freaky. I'm glad I ran into a nice normal guy like you.

Posted by bob76 on 2018-10-21 11:47:49

Flash,

I think I've gotten about ten tickets over the years. I got two of my first tickets when I was driving to my sister's wedding, just a few years after I got my license. I got a ticket at night, spent the night at a motel, and got another ticket the next morning!

My latest ticket wasn't for speeding. I was on a highway in the middle lane, stopped at a red light. When the light changed it looked like the left lane was clear so I signaled a turn and pulled into the lane. It turned out that I was changing lanes right in front of a police car! The officer was not amused. I had to mail in a $100 fine for an unsafe lane change. Luckily, as usual, it was in another state.

Unlike you, I don't get a thrill out of breaking traffic laws. It's mostly just impatience and following the herd: I speed because other people speed. I do like passing people if I think they're driving too slowly.

My father says that he's never gotten a speeding ticket. Knowing him, I believe it.

Bob