Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Capital Punishment vs Corporal Punishment

Capital Punishment

Posted by Luke12 on 2015-11-30 02:11:09

Hi R.J.

Thank you for another interesting survey. You always have engaging and fresh ideas.

I am against the Death Penalty not because it is unjust, but because of the many flaws in the judicial system. Many convictions are attained not because of forensic evidence, but because of forced confessions by the investigators. Juries are fickle, emotionally biased, and will reach a verdict not matter how unjust, because they merely want to go home. Those who can afford to retain an expensive defense attorney are more likely to get an acquittal than those who are indigent and have to use a public defender.

I realize that the nation of Singapore has long had a low crime rate due to both Capital and Corporal Punishment. Here is a link to a Singapore caning of a man sentenced to 9 strokes of the cane for DUI.

Video of Singapore Caning

Harsh indeed! But many of the residents find it justice.

Luke

Posted by R.J. on 2015-12-02 01:26:25

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your kind words and glad you found it interesting.

I too am opposed to the death penalty and for the reasons you have stated. I lost a great deal of confidence in the US legal and judicial system more than a decade ago. I've worked a great deal of my career life in the Corrections field. I've seen how economics speaks loudly in who is incarcerated, not to mention in death sentences.

Once the death sentence is carried out, there is no return should some 'new' or maybe 'surpressed' evidence is discovered. Life w/o parole keeps society adequately safe & should evidence surface, there are corrective legal steps. Do we need to add corporal punishment is a controversial option. A good hiding opened many a boy's eyes & adjusted the attitude growing up. I've seen too many young offenders who's present & future would be different possibly, had they received a good hiding on the fleshy butt cheeks growing up. Some young guys I've worked with said they agree they needed perimeters and a butt lickin' more than a time or two. Others tell me I'm outdated & too old fashion.

Maybe the survey results will reveal what some in the so-called 'silent majority' think but prefer not to say in open conversation.

RJ

Posted by Luke12 on 2015-12-03 02:26:26

Hi RJ!

I am glad to see that we agree on the death penalty. Ironically, there is a safety net of anti-death penalty activists and lawyers who fight to get executions stayed, commuted, or grants of clemency. There are no activists to fight for those given life imprisonment for wrongful convictions.

I am not sure if I support the use of the cane in Singapore. With my own father, when my pants came down for a spanking, paddling, or strapping; I knew that this was how his father raised him, and that my grandfather was even stricter with him with his use of corporal punishment. He had experienced it himself and knew that it was fair and necessary. I don't think that those who sentence the offender to 6-36 strokes of the Singapore cane have ever experienced it themselves.

Today whether it is time-outs,groundings,or CP; children aren't really taught accountability or taking responsibility. It must be a rude awakening on their 18th birthday, when they find out that they are suddenly responsible for their actions. Several months ago, a 15 year-old boy in New Mexico had been sending out sexually explicit photos of himself that he had taken in his bedroom. He sold them for $400 to a NYC teacher through his PayPal account. When his mother found out, she called the FBI. She thought her son was the victim of sexual predators. The teacher is now in jail. But if I had ever done anything like that at age 15, my father would not have called the FBI. My bare bottom would have been strapped for that.

I always appreciate your insights on these matters.

Luke

Posted by R.J. on 2015-12-06 19:53:51

Hi Luke,

I am grateful that there are anti-death penalty activists. Though maybe not as many, I'm sure some are advocates of justice for those wrongly imprisoned. What most hurts me is those convicted of any crime simply because they can't afford a better defense team. Many young offenders I've seen and dealt with seem among that class of 18 y/o who now have that rude awakening you spoke of.

Since I've never experienced the cane, I can't adequately or personally judge it's value or effectiveness. From messages related, it does seem a bit too harsh but then I'm coming from a different 'Western culture' perspective. I knew boys and probably a few girls growing up who spoke of spanking with a fresh cut switch...the closest to a caning, though I suspect the cane inflicts more pain & prolonged marking. Were you subjected to the cane or a cut switch for punishment? You speak of your father and spankings/paddlings/strappings you received.

There were several things I did as an adolescent pre-teen and teenager that earned me a paddling or dad's leather belt. School was still permitted to paddle if parents consented...mine did. Dad re-inforced the need for a behavior change both times I got the paddle used on the seat of my jeans at school. Spanking was not a first option in our home, so when I got a 'lickin' from dad, I had obviously 'pushed the buttons' or exceeded limits and received what I deserved at the time.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights.

RJ

Posted by Luke12 on 2015-12-07 02:44:39

Hi RJ,

Regarding the rude awakening of turning 18 years-old: I think that when we were growing up, corporal punishment was perceived by children to be the most severe and feared of all punishments. Having said that, it was usually given for lesser offenses: talking back to an adult in authority, lying, cutting class, etc. This was not as bad as murder, robbery, burglary, or vandalism. Looking back, I think that receiving the most feared of punishments for breaking a rule made us less likely to be in situations of committing greater offenses.

I was not raised on the switch. However, I did know of immigrant children who were switched and those fundamentalist Christian parents who used the switch as "the rod of correction". My father was switched growing up. He felt that because it could cut the skin and scar the buttocks, the paddle was a more humane implement. It was his preferred implement to use on me. In Singapore, the cane is still used in private and public schools. Most parents and administrators feel that it works when nothing else works. Again it is given for minor offenses, e.g. breaking school rules. Perhaps this is why it is not seen as cruel and unusual punishment for adults that commit more serious offenses.

However, I think that the harshness or injustice of punishment of children does prepare them to avoid the harshness and injustice of punishment in the adult world. I was watching a news program this evening. It said that in the state of North Dakota, selling marijuana is a Class A felony, punishable by 20 years in prison. In New York State, there is only one Class A felony: homicide. However, I am sure most teenagers in North Dakota own or know to operate a firearm (for hunting or self-defense against wildlife). In New York State, there is a mandatory 3 year prison sentence prior to arraignment for mere possession of a firearm. These are not two different foreign third world nations! These are two states within the same country under the same federal Constitution!

I guess the best lesson to be learned here is: learn the rules as quickly as possible and don't ever break them. I think that my Dad was the fairest of all authorities that I've had to face.

Luke