Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Christian Morals (sex, alcohol, abortion, etc)

Interesting

Posted by tracieh on 2003-01-13 03:14:31

I found these results interesting. Although a majority of respondents were Xians, a majority of the responses voiced values and principles that directly oppose clear, biblical teachings. I abstained from the vote because I am not a Xian. However, I am familiar enough with the Bible to know that it directly addresses several of the issues polled and indicates a value system directly opposed to what the majority of respondents state they believe. I wonder if Xians today are not more inclined to view the Bible as a "guide" rather than an "authority." While this is a personal choice, I find it hard as a person outside of Xianity to apply the label of Xian to a person when the opinions and beliefs of Xians cannot be defined. In other words, what does the word "Christian" then mean when "Christians" can basically believe and behave however they choose--without adhering to any sort of cohesive belief system. Why would anyone call himself/herself a Christian when he/she disagrees with the teachings of Jesus? What would be the logic of that? Just a thought.

Posted by Orodreth on 2003-02-25 17:56:02

I was just curious to the people saying "read the Bible" how you decide which translation is "correct"? Is it the NIV with its suspect translations? Or the King James, with its archaic language? Or another? Or does anyone read it in Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek as it was originally written?

========== In Reply To ==========

Posted by mikey713 on 2003-12-17 08:54:51

I agree with you 100%. I am a Christian, and i was shocked when i saw the results. Its like it means nothing. It also tells you that ppl that think that they are Christians really arnt. ========== In Reply To ========== I found these results interesting. Although a majority of respondents were Xians, a majority of the responses voiced values and principles that directly oppose clear, biblical teachings. I abstained from the vote because I am not a Xian. However, I am familiar enough with the Bible to know that it directly addresses several of the issues polled and indicates a value system directly opposed to what the majority of respondents state they believe. I wonder if Xians today are not more inclined to view the Bible as a "guide" rather than an "authority." While this is a personal choice, I find it hard as a person outside of Xianity to apply the label of Xian to a person when the opinions and beliefs of Xians cannot be defined. In other words, what does the word "Christian" then mean when "Christians" can basically believe and behave however they choose--without adhering to any sort of cohesive belief system. Why would anyone call himself/herself a Christian when he/she disagrees with the teachings of Jesus? What would be the logic of that? Just a thought.

Posted by Angie79 on 2004-01-16 22:29:00

========== In Reply To ========== I agree with you 100%. I am a Christian, and i was shocked when i saw the results. Its like it means nothing. It also tells you that ppl that think that they are Christians really arnt.

And your thought is absolutely correct

Posted by Kandou on 2008-06-16 00:31:33

(Sorry for the extreme necromancy here, was just browsing your comments and stumbled across this one)

I've always readily acknowledged translation errors, etc, and that the Bible is, at best, a human transcription of the word of God (and as such open to all the flaws any human written book is) rather than divinely dictated. And I no longer consider myself a Christian (eventually things just got too complex for me to continue labelling myself that way with an 'although I disagree with Christian theology on these lines')

However - My favourite translation of the Bible is the Good News Bible, which is simply because I prefer the text of it.