Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Christian Morals (sex, alcohol, abortion, etc)

Walking With God...

Posted by on 2003-12-21 07:32:03

It never ceases to amaze me how much people can mis-interpret their own religion! All the people in this country who are divorced (remember, these are the same people who united under the lord) think they are still Christian? They think it's okay? Really? The baby-boomer generation has a divorce rate in the high 70s... yet these people have the gall to say they are "going to heaven?" I thought it was 'To death do us part'. Does my bible have a typo?
These are undoubtly the same people who say bi-sexuality is wrong, non-Christians are going to hell, you don't need to dress smartly for church, the death penalty is okay, and that men should have short hair and women should have long hair! (What happened to 'Thou shall not judge' anyway?) Should Christians read the bible more? it seems so!

Posted by grateful on 2005-01-24 02:52:42

(The reference to religion motivated me to reply.) The gospels tell us that Jesus did not come to establish a new religion called Christianity. The etymology of the word religion is: Middle English religioun, from Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice. On the contrary, Jesus started his ministry quoting Isaiah 58:6 "Is not this the fast I have chosen . . .to undo the heavy burdens and to let the oppressed go free . . . .” We miss what the gospel, which means “good news”, is if we say Jesus just put a new coat of wax on the old jalopy of religion so God could get some higher moral performance out of people. How is that good news? All societies in history have had religion and morals and the struggle to live up to moral ideals is universal. A few lines down verse 9 talks about how God is displeased with people who "point the finger." We're not helping God out by pointing fingers—personal, religious or political. Christ is the Savior because He has set us free. Because of Jesus we are free to love and serve God and our neighbor without the finger pointing, guilt, and divisiveness that is the telltale sign of religion and religious persecution.

Posted by C9 on 2005-09-19 00:11:24

I was also surprized at how many people thought divorce was okay. The Bible clearly states that God HATES divorce. However, I think it is far worse to say, and I quote from above:

All the people in this country who are divorced (remember, these are the same people who united under the lord) think they are still Christian?

Divorce is a sin. But telling others that they are not Christian's because of their sins is wrong too. God instructs us to forgive others so that we, too, can be forgiven of our sins. I'm sure that there is not one of us who is without sin, so instead of casting stones, we need to show all people love like God would want us to do.