Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Did you like the books you read in high school?

Books in high school

Posted by shaun h on 2012-08-31 17:02:40

When I was at high school, (aged 13),we had to read the "Diary of Anne Frank", for history class. Being a guy, I couldn't really relate to the experiences of a girl, so my history teacher told me to go to the school library and get a copy of "The Silver Sword", by Iain Serralier. I took the book home and once I started to read, I couldn't put the book down! The book basically tells the story of a set of siblings from Poland who escape from the aftermath of WW2, and travel across Europe to rejoin their father in Switzerland. No kidding, this is the best story about the experiences of refugees that has been written for kids. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a real story with a message. Not that I'm denigrating Anne Frank, I've read her book several times since leaving school and each time it just makes me more determined to oppose any sort of prejudice and intolerance. Anyone who says that they never read a book is just being blind, there's so much out there that can really make you stop and think, like Alex Haley's "Roots", or other true-life experiences. Have to say though, I agree with "Small Guy" and his recommendation of "In the Heat of the Night" and "12 Angry Men", the latter is also a really good film with Henry Fonda, if you can catch it on tv.