Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Unemployment-A Licence to Laze?

Clarification of answers

Posted by RWM on 2010-05-24 11:20:03

I indicated that claiming state support is made both too easy and too hard.

A woman I used to know told of how she supported herself for 6 months while she was in college by collecting unemployment. She had been working as a cashier and got laid off, so since she didn't really want to work, she'd just find 3 places each week that weren't hiring cashiers and apply for work at those places. The fact that, at the same time, many other places were hiring cashiers didn't matter. The unemployment office only required that she apply at 3 places each week in order for her to collect.

But when I became a victim of a corporate takeover nearly 2 decades ago, the unemployment office wouldn't regard as valid either of the methods of searching for work that actually had any chance of being successful. They required that you seek work with 3 companies every week either in person, by phone, or by resume. But, in my profession, if you go in person, they just tell you to mail them a resume, and the best you can hope for is that they don't remember you came in person, since an unsolicited in-person visit is likely to make a bad impression. If you contact them by phone, they will tell you to mail them a resume. And if you mail them a resume, it usually will just be discarded because they only accept resumes submitted by agencies. But the unemployment office does NOT consider having an agency do the search to be an "acceptable" method of looking. I ultimately found work by starting my own business, but the unemployment office does not consider that to be a valid method of looking, either. So while I looked for work through the two methods that might actually succeed, I also carried out a charade of mailing my resume to firms which had essentially no chance of being interested in someone like me (thereby wasting both their time and mine), just to meet the unemployment office job search quota.

Benefit payments are about right for some workers, but too low for others. Some workers get benefits equal to 40% of what their salary was, but when I was laid off, my benefits only covered about 25% of my salary, which wasn't even enough to cover my mortgage, property tax, community maintenance assessment, and health insurance.

There's no reason you should wait to apply for benefits. You've been paying for them through unemployment insurance deductions from your paychecks when you were employed.