Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Confession and Communion (for Catholics)

mortal sin

Posted by mister tom on 2009-10-14 00:22:00

I'm wondering how you would know if someone is in the state of mortal sin and still receiving Communion. I don't want to minimize any sin, but it takes a lot to commit a mortal sin. I was taught by nuns back in the 50's and you pretty much got the impression that almost everything was a mortal sin--especially if it had anything to do with sex. My understanding is that two prerequisites for something being a mortal sin are the actual seriousness of the sin, combined with knowledge that it's a mortal sin, followed by the actual willful comitting of that sin. For example, if you think biting your fingernails is a mortal sin and you bite them anyway, it's not a mortal sin. If you kill someone, but don't understand that's a mortal sin, you didn't commit a mortal sin. Anyhow, that's the way I understand it. So don't be too quick to judge people, especially if you don't know what is in their heart and soul.

Posted by espoir66 on 2009-11-30 23:30:21

I totally agree with you, mister tom, but please don't remain fixed on the brand of catholicism taught by nuns back in the 50's. There is nothing there. I don't think that the creator of this poll is judgemental on this question. The faithful know exactly in what dispositions they can receive the Holy Communion. It pleases me a lot.

Posted by catholicmark on 2011-08-02 14:38:24

As the creator of this poll I apologise fro not replying before. I am absolutely not judging. It is sinful of itself to judge. Only God judges and only you, the receiver of Holy Communion, know. Nuns in the 50s taught many curious things - some (not all) of what they taught was wrong or irrlelvant. But it si still a central doctrine of Catholic faith that Holy Communion needs to be treated with HUGE respect and one aspect of this respect is that you must have a clean soul to receive Our Lord. That means confession of any mortal sin. There really isn;t any getting round that but of course it is not about individuals judging.

I should add that my father when (no so long ago) I was a child, did periodically talk to us individually before Mass about our dispositions, our examinations of conscience and confession. I am glad he did that.