Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Creationists (for Christians only)

Frauds and Lunatics

Posted by Librarian_Ponderer on 2009-06-12 14:18:46

Hovind is a fraud (and a criminal) and Ham is a lunatic. Young Earth Creationism is demonstrably false and it is time for fundamentalists to get in touch with reality and deal with it. I am a Christian, but I recognize that the Scriptures do not attempt to teach science. The Scriptures are collections of stories that attempt to show us God's covenantal love with Israel; both the Israel of old and the renewed Israel brought about by Jesus Christ.

Posted by DDH52 on 2009-06-12 19:19:02

L.P. Amen to that! I did not vote, because I am not a christian. I can't believe that there are enough suckers around to put up the money to build that creationism museum in Kentucky. I personally would not spend the price of admission to witness the lunacy therein.

Posted by Librarian_Ponderer on 2009-06-13 16:13:20

Oh, I don't know. I think it could be an amusing experience (visiting the museum). Of course, if I wanted to cause harm to myself and permanent brain rot, I could visit the Precious Moments Chapel in Missouri after seeing all of the Dinotopia fantasy sculptures at the Kentucky museum. ;-)

Posted by DDH52 on 2009-06-14 23:59:34

Yeah, there is the amusement aspect, but the pain of the thought that some of the admission price goes to support more of that nonsense ruins it. And don't forget to visit the Holy Land Experience in Orlando on your fantasy vacation.

Posted by Librarian_Ponderer on 2009-06-15 15:08:21

Holy Land Experience? Please, tell me more!

Honestly, I wouldn't feel too guilty about spending a few bucks. And I don't think that these folks are going to persuade anyone who isn't already persuaded. In a way, I would look at a visit as a cultural anthropology fieldwork experience. This is how I sell my class trip to the Buddhist temple (which we do in my Religion 101 class). For those students who feel that they might be sinning by attending a buddhist lecture or meditation session; I just tell them to look at it the way an anthropologist would study a society's religious rituals and traditions. And since the good monks help me teach my class, I think it is perfectly appropriate to give them a donation (I must confess that though I am not a Buddhist; I could easily be one).

Joe