Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Churchill,Roosevelt,Stalin

Churchill

Posted by Tralhob on 2008-09-08 20:23:41

I choose Churchill for his prescience. The man saw how dangerous the Nazis were long before it was obvious to everyone else. If Churchill had been PM in '38, maybe WW2 would have never happened.

For the same reason, I count Roosevelt's reluctance to jump into the fray as a strike against him. He shouldn't have waited until Pearl Harbor in '41. America should have attacked Germany in '39. Or even better, a joint Allied offensive in '38. No Munich Betrayal, just WAR. Nip the Nazis in the bud. Imagine how many lives could have been saved. Easy to say all this in hindsight, of course, which is exactly my point about Churchill - he had foresight.

Of course in that scenario, Russia would probably fight with Germany. Remember, Stalin was in bed with Hitler until 1941! I assume Stalin was only included because he was an Allied leader.

Posted by Zack40 on 2008-09-08 20:43:36

Just a couple of corrections, Stalin was a communist, Hitler was a fascist. They were never in bed with each other, they were always mortal enemies. Additionally Hitler wanted a war so if the allies chose to act in 1938 it would have made little difference the actual being of a world war.

Oh yeah and Churchill is certainly the best. Probably the greatest man in British history.

Posted by Tralhob on 2008-09-08 23:24:11

Russia and Germany were allies when the war broke out. They’d signed the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact, which was a non-aggression pact that provided for the partitioning of Europe into separate Russian and German spheres of influence. The invasion of Poland was a joint German-Russian venture. Russia invaded from the east 16 days after Germany invaded from the west. This too was part of their agreement. Only when Germany broke the terms of the pact, and invaded Russia in 1941, did Russia join the Allies.

They were ideologically opposed, but convenience trumps ideology any day. Conflicting ideologies didn’t prevent Russia from allying with the capitalist US, UK and France, or the Chinese nationalists under Chiang Kai-Shek, Mao’s enemy.

But I was overstating the case to say they were “in bed.” The relationship wasn’t as cozy as that suggests.

Posted by 55RAC on 2008-09-25 09:18:48

Too bad we don't have politicians with the insight and fortitude (i.e Churchill) these days. Anyone sounding a warning on a particular foriegn tyrant is laughed out of Washington, as Churchill was drummed out of London during his "wilderness years" This guy Obama wants to open dialogue with people like Hugo Chaves and Ahkmadinajab from Iran. He pulls this off, he will be the "Neville Chamberlain" of our time....a fool with a piece of paper in his hand that wouldn't be worth a piece of toilet paper, leaving us wide open for another attack. He who does not know history, is doomed to repeat it.......