Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Are Alaska and Hawaii real states?

of course they are!

Posted by Rico Suave on 2008-09-03 23:52:38

They are a full fledged part of the Union and have been since the mid twentieth century.

Posted by Tralhob on 2008-09-04 03:20:12

Not to take this idiotic poll too seriously, but what the hell do you mean by "real states?" Hawai'i and Alaska are states - end of. All 50 states are "real states," whatever the hell that means. None of them are more 'state-like' than others; they all have exactly the same constitutional status and participate in the American system in exactly the same way. They're light on population, sure, but so are Wyoming and Montana.

^Grew up in Hawai'i. Spoke English, used American money, etc..

Posted by Captain Fantastic on 2008-09-05 19:52:08

I made this poll cause I bet (and I've heard) many people only refer to "the lower 48" as actual states, and don't consider Alaska and Hawaii in conversation about the union.

Maybe it's mere prejudice or ignorance that some folks have that they only reserve status for 'the contiguous 48 states', and Alaska and Hawaii are so far away and out of bounds (and separated, geographically) from the rest of the U.S. that they don't consider them worth calling out.

Posted by Tralhob on 2008-09-08 17:40:02

Sorry I called your poll idiotic, then.

I think you are correct, at least as far as Hawai'i goes. I used to get the most ignorant questions imaginable from "mainlanders" (as they are called there). Do you use American money? Can you vote? Do people speak English? Is Hawai'i closer to the east coast or the west coast? Do gorillas live there?

My wife is Australian so I've also gotten some amusing questions about Australia. Is it a democracy or a dictatorship? Do lions live there? Etc..

Some people do a really good job of insulating themselves from the rest of the world.