Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

What exactly is preaching?

self righteous egotistical ranting

Posted by totoro on 2008-08-22 14:56:59

Many of us "preach" about that which we believe in, but lets face it-it is generally self righteous egotisical ranting, especially the way fundamentalist Christians often do it. Depending on my mood, whenever I am "preached at" by a Christian, I either pretend to go along with it to waste their time for a while then screw with their head, methodically grind their arguments to a pulp, or if they are being particularly obnoxious or agressive, I tell them what orafice (sp) they can shove their preaching into!

Posted by Rico Suave on 2008-08-23 21:14:13

Please define or give a specific example as to when you feel that someone has crossed the boundary line and entered the realm of obnoxiousness or aggression. Do you have any favorite tactics for screwing with people's heads?

P.S. You almost remind me of this one philosophy professor from my past. He responded to Jehovah's Witnesses by highlighting why their arguments were less than . . . what is the adjective that should go in this blank?

Posted by totoro on 2008-08-24 07:18:04

Hi Rico: Good questions. I think it is totally fine and appropriate for someone to discuss their beliefs with other people. I think someone crosses the line when any kind of advice/preaching is continually given to someone who doesn't ask for it. Someone becomes aggressive/obnoxious in my opinion when the preached at person expresses a desire to be left alone and the preacher continues preaching or when the preacher resorts to personal insults.

I usually only screw with peoples heads when they are being rude, mean, pushy, or obnoxious. I try to generally be a nice person overall. I forgot to mention that when people approach me politely, I often politely say that I am not interested. My favorite tactic as I mentioned is to pretend to go along with the "preacher" for a while, then I start asking questions or making statements that question the person more and more. Usually people end up getting mad at me or just giving up. If someone gets mad at me, I remind them that it was THEM that opened the whole conversation up in the first place.

Posted by Tralhob on 2008-08-26 16:25:22

Preacher types often use dishonest tactics to get you to give them a minute of their time.

Posted by totoro on 2008-08-28 04:21:33

When I was younger, more innocent looking, and living in San Francisco, I would ALWAYS get approached by the "Moonies" in Union Square. They would claim to be part of an international student organization. Actually, they are an ultra right wing political organization doubling as a cultish "religion". Every one of them seemed to have a glazed look on them as if they had just had a lobotomy. They own the Washington Times by the way (I'm pretty sure of this at least, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard it from a pretty reliable source).