Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

What exactly is preaching?

good topic!

Posted by Rico Suave on 2008-08-21 20:01:43

I have never really seriously thought about it before.

Posted by peteM1989 on 2008-08-21 20:23:23

I always imagine evangelical types (usually American, it has to be said) shouting about how we're all going to hell for eternity unless we repent etc and follow their particular interpretation of their particular 'holy' book. Yet when atheists say 'god is imaginary' and actuall supply reasons why, it's considered to be not politically correct and intolerant. Seems a bit one-sided to me.

Pete

Posted by BJake on 2008-08-21 22:39:39

I couldn't answer because there wasn't a "none of the above" for me to choose.

I do agree with pete re the one sided bit. I am a humanist but recently had to swear an oath on a bible regarding probate on my father's estate. No one knew what to do for a humanist. They also only had a bible - what about muslims, buddhist, hindus? Nothing to do with the topic but preaching isn't only a christian thing now is it?

Posted by Rico Suave on 2008-08-23 21:20:09

Well, I am a devout Roman Catholic in America. Yet, I still consider myself tolerant of different perspectives. There must be some God acknowledging group that has made some serious attempt to justify their viewpoints with logical reasoning.

P.S. This brought back fond memories of an old high school physics teacher. One of her favorite lines was "Well, that's enough of that preach . . . for now."

Posted by Rico Suave on 2008-08-23 21:23:48

If you prefer not to swear on a Bible during legal proceedings, can't you just make that choice? I guess the connotations behind the two words forced and encouraged differ, but I was not really expecting to get in to this right here and now . . .