Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

PE detentions

PE Detentions yes, but not in full kit

Posted by ezzi91 on 2014-03-26 10:16:24

This poll asks "have you ever had or still have PE detentions where you have to do pe in full kit" with just a yes/no answer option. At my school we had PE detentions where we had to do tough exercises in the gym but we have to do it in our underwear. Underwear meant just pants/knickers for both boys and girls. Adds to the punishment I suppose.

Posted by grid56301 on 2014-04-18 20:49:07

Our pe punishment took place in the gym wearing just shorts and bare chests and made to exercise for full 90 mins after school. Because of the intensity of the session it was normal to be dripping with sweat at the end.

Posted by ezzi91 on 2014-04-21 13:58:44

Hi grid56301!

When was this?

My experiences are from late 1990s/early 2000s. There are lots of examples on the web some going back to 1960s/70s, some more recent, some much more recent, and some that don't mention when. I'm just curious because I thought my own experiences were quite unusual but I have heard from people who claim that doing PE in underwear or just shorts (barefoot) still goes on as a punishment for forgetting kit or other 'crimes'.

I know what you mean about the sweat. Our PE Detentions lasted 60 minutes in years 7 to 9, but 90 minutes in years 10 & 11.

Posted by grid56301 on 2014-04-21 16:59:22

Hello,

I left school in 1995 at 18. Our PE/Games lessons always had half the class in skins regardless of being indoors or outside. I don't know why but my middle school and high school teachers both always picked me for the skins teams, same with a few others too. Wonder if it because we were in his tutor group?

We never went barefoot or in boxers for either punishment or standard lessons. If you did forget your kit you were given shorts and trainers and were told to go "bare top"

Posted by ezzi91 on 2014-04-21 18:21:22

I count 1995 as fairly recent. Interesting that your experience of PE punishment involved both clothing restrictions and really tough exercise. 90 minutes is a long time when you are being pushed hard.

Like I said, our school didn't give out shorts or trainers. We had to strip to our underwear, boys and girls alike. Once concession was that girls could, from year 10 onwards, keep their bra on 'if they wished'. Otherwise it was always topless and barefoot. Unpopular and unfair I think. Shortly after I left year 11 the rules were changed as I believe there was some kind of protest from parents. Surprised it didn't happen sooner really.