Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Life in the universe?

LIFE IS THE UNIVERSE IS A RARE AND BRIEF EVENT

Posted by peteM1989 on 2007-10-16 15:04:06

For once, I sort of agree with you. We are in danger of wiping ourselves out if we carry on as we are

Posted by dave3 on 2007-10-17 01:41:23

Even if technology directly contributed to the problem,the answer doesn't lie in a return to rustic pastoralism...it lies in more technology.

Posted by peteM1989 on 2007-10-17 16:09:53

The difficulty is in implementing the technology. Many alternative power solutions are expensive, so no company is going to use it unless there is a short term benefit.

Posted by blabber on 2008-08-26 04:17:11

If i'm reading what it sounds like, it seems like, it souns like that there may or may not be, but we need not waste our time on it. I couldn't agree more. I do think that, with the size of our universe (starting out with a positively charged ball the size of your fist), it would be improbable that there would not be a planet besides earth tht could support life. Its so big that we are egocentric to think that we are DEFINITELY the only ones. We are even more egocentric, though, to think for even a second that aliens (besides the illegal ones from Mexico) would ever visit earth. It is a huge universe, and there is no way that they could get here. Physics are physics, wherever you are. They have the same elements as we do, although they may have different proportions. The most egocentric of all, though, is that we sometimes believe that we could tsalk to them. There is not a chance in hell that they would ever by chance know english, spanish, french, Italian, latin, greek, russian, hebrew, arabic, swahili, zulu, or si'swati, among others. Also, we personify them and then some. We think of a dominant species that is super-advanced. If there even is a dominant species, than they mightnot even be as advnced as humans are now. There may not even be a dominant species. That eing said, we don't need to waste time on matters we will never figure out and won't matter to us. Scientists, figure out a way to get us to mars or something. Aliens don't matter to us.