Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Do you think that stem cell research is unethical?

What kind of stem cell research?

Posted by boterfofy on 2007-07-05 20:10:31

What kind of stem cell research are you talking about? This is very important to consider. Are you talking about Adult Stem cell Research which has been accepted by most scientist as being at least as beneficial as embryonic stem cell research. Or are you talking about Embryonic Stem Cell Research, which many scientist believe is unnecessary and will not yield any benefits that can't be found with Adult Stem Cells.

Secondly, if you are talking about Embryonic Stem Cells, are you talking about using the embryos that have already been created and will be detroyed either way. Or are you talking about creating new HUMAN embryos for the express purpose of destroying them in research that most in the scientific community believes may not be necessary.

I, like almost all conservatives, am in favor of Stem Cell research on adult stem cells. I, like many conservatives (including Bush), am ok with embryonic stem cell research on existing embryos that would only be destroyed either way. I however cannot support creating something which has the potential of becoming a human life for the express purpose of destroying it, espescially when many in the scientific community believe that it is probably going to be of little or no benefit.

Posted by the old wise man on 2007-07-06 07:34:22

What do you mean by the statement “I am ok with embryonic stem cell research on existing embryos that would only be destroyed either way”? I was under the impression that ALL existing embryos would become an adult human. So in this case, I would think that destroying any embryonic cells would be immoral. How are existing embryos killed either way?

Posted by Caitiff_Primogen on 2007-07-06 17:42:15

Boterfofy is referring to research using aborted foetuses. These are usually incinerated, so I have no problem in using them for research.

I don't agree with specifically creating foetuses for research though.

Posted by Donald Dumpsfiels on 2007-07-07 23:36:22

Stem Cell research

If you think microscopic cells which have not been modified to perform a function are the same as a United States Marine stationed in Iraq then I got some dirt in my yard that contains the same metals as a new Italian sports car you can buy off of me for a million dollars. After stem cell research is banned do we block surgery cause it involves killing humans cells? Btw do not bring up the Bible because the Bible is all about millions of people being killed just cause Gawd is having a bad hair day. Gawd loves you but do not eat that ham and cheese sandwich cause when you die Saint Peter is going to bring it up.

Posted by boterfofy on 2007-07-08 01:00:09

Donald, since you seem to be refusing to actually learn about an issue before spouting off on it, let me help you out a little bit.

You said: After stem cell research is banned do we block surgery cause it involves killing humans cells?

I am not concerned with killing cells, which is why I am very much in favor of stem cell research (the sdult variety). What I have a problem with is that some forms of embryonic research kill cells that if left alone will develop into a breathing viable human being. Whether or not you believe life begins at conception, you must admit that fetuses have the potential to become viable humans, they are potential humans. I don't believe it is right to destroy something that, if left alone will become a viable human life.

You Said: If you think microscopic cells which have not been modified to perform a function are the same as a United States Marine stationed in Iraq

Nobody said that the cells that have already been taken from the embryos are a life. I would be ok with these cells being used. What I am opposed to is the creation and destruction of more embryos to get more cells to expiriment on. Human embryos and human adults are not the same yet. However, if left alone they have the potential

You Said: don't bring up the Bible because the Bible is all about millions of people being killed just cause Gawd is having a bad hair day. Gawd loves you but do not eat that ham and cheese sandwich cause when you die Saint Peter is going to bring it up.

1. I didn't bring up the bible, you did.

2. I'm not aware of these bible stories, must have missed that Sunday School Lesson.

3. I wasn't planning on quoting the bible, but since YOU brought it up, here's a good bible verse, I think we can all agree on. "Choose life that you may live." What it tells me is that when we live in a society that begins to value one form of human life above another, we are all in danger.