Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

The Official Mister Poll Forum

Suggestion on dealing with unwanted rodents

Posted by ashley randle on 2008-12-19 03:35:22

Hi'ya, Mister P.,

You really need a way for poll moderators to ban users from posting messages on their polls who insist upon creating off-topic threads, even after they've been warned.

Or enable a way for only moderators or specified 'preferred users' to create new threads.

Sure, a moderator can delete unwanted threads or messages from a board. But you know how hard it is to get rid of rats, especially once they start procreating.

What do you think?

Luv
+Ashley+

Posted by Blackninja133 on 2008-12-19 12:24:28

Like a way for users to block other users?

Posted by Cammie Winston on 2008-12-19 15:40:03

yes that's a good idea for a feature, what ninja guy said

moderators aren't enough because people forget about their polls or aren't around. On most boards there is a Block User feature, that way if someone annoys you, you can just block them.

if a person annoys enough people, he will be blocked and become invisible.

this is a good way of teaching even the most annoying and obnoxious people to behave themselves, because if they don't, no one can see what they're saying

on a chat board i used to be on, we had a HUGE problem with a few obnoxious people, and when Block User was implemented, a few learned to behave themselves and became members in good standing, and those who couldn't learn threw tantrums no one else could see and then left

it was a perfect solution

Posted by Blackninja133 on 2008-12-19 17:45:50

Very good! I'm sure Mister Poll will be delighted and strongly consider the idea.

Posted by Mister Poll on 2008-12-19 17:59:48

I agree, some sort of a blocking feature would be helpful. As a solution, they aren't quite a perfect as they seem, but they are an improvement. If you block just the user's account, they can easily sign up for a new one. It's a hurdle, to be sure, and after having several accounts blocked, many pests will give up and stop creating new accounts. The determined ones will keep at it though.

If you take it a step further and block their IP address, you create a situation where one jerk can get an entire school, business, or home blocked. Many computer networks have only one public address, so even though you may be different people on different computers, if you are on the same network, our servers wouldn't know the difference.

In theory though, I heartily agree. I'll see what I can come up with.