Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

The Official Mister Poll Forum

Possible glitch.

Posted by totoro on 2007-12-09 04:28:28

I do enjoy Misterpoll (it's probably obvious), but when I respond to a poll and come back to it to leave a message, sometimes I get a message that says "error, you have already responded to this poll"and I am then unable to do anything else. I completely understand the desire to not let people respond to a poll more than once, especially since I make alot of polls myself. I do, however think that it would be good to be able to have access to the message area afterwards. Just a thought.

Posted by Mister Poll on 2007-12-09 06:24:40

Hmmm... Just to be clear. You are getting the "You have already responded" error when you follow a message forum link? Not when you try to vote? If so, could you please post the steps (clicks) you are following to get to the message area? This absolutely should not be happening, unless you are under the mistaken impression that the only way to get to the message area is to vote.

When you view a poll, before voting, there is a "Messages" link at the top of the page. For example, when you look at this poll, check out the navigation links just underneath the poll title:

http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/261830

You should see "Results" and "Messages". Clicking either of those links should always work -- even if you have voted in the poll before. If you are getting an error, please let me know the exact steps you are taking, so that I can track down the problem.

Thanks!

Posted by totoro on 2007-12-09 17:32:03

Hi Misterpoll: This doesn't always happen, but on one example, I participated in the "Religion and Politics" poll. Later I wanted to post a message, but when I first clicked the icon "Religion and Politics poll" it immediately showed me that message-sorry you have already voted. This also happened a couple of other times. Overall I like this new format, but I want to let you know of any possible glitches so that we can all have a perfect/utopian misterpoll experience. Thanks, William a.k.a. Totoro

Posted by Mister Poll on 2007-12-09 18:57:54

totoro: Part of what you described makes me wonder if you aren't following an outside link of some kind. Do you truly mean "icon", as in a little picture? If so, we don't have any icons leading to polls on the Mister Poll web site. Did you perhaps follow one from an external site?

If you just used the wrong word, did you simply click the "Religion In Politics" link that appears on this page?

http://www.misterpoll.com/directory/politics

Thanks, I appreciate you helping me track this one down.

Posted by Mister Poll on 2007-12-12 03:35:44

A brief update on this one. I believe I've found the problem. It only happens when you've voted in a poll that has a maximum number of votes set. Normally, the system doesn't check for over-voting until your vote is submitted. However, for polls with a vote limit, the system actually reserves one of the open spots for you when you view the poll. At the same time, it also checks to be sure that you haven't already voted. The person who created that "Religion In Politics" poll happened to set a 1000 vote limit on it.

Luckily, this problem should not come up very often, since most polls do not have a limit. It does still need to be fixed, though. Until it is, the best way to keep visiting that message forum would probably be to just bookmark the URL. It's not a great long term plan, but it should get you there for now.