Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
ADULT: OFF HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

The Official Mister Poll Forum

Most recent polls should be displayed first

Posted by bob76 on 2007-12-04 11:08:03

I'm finding it hard to find some polls where I've written messages, because the Search feature doesn't work the same as it did before. The results used to be displayed starting with the most recent polls, so they were easy to find. I'm not sure what order is being used now. This is especially annoying when several polls have exactly the same title and it's hard for me to figure out which poll is the one where I wrote my message. Please bring back the old sort order, or at least make it an option.

Posted by Mister Poll on 2007-12-04 16:40:27

Hey bob... The new search shows things in relevancy order, much the way Google or other web search engines do. The keyword accuracy is now much better than the old search was. Plus, before it would only look at the poll title and description. Now, it actually looks at question and choice text as well, although those matches are given less weight. This all goes into a relevancy "score", and that score is used for sorting, with the most relevant matches shown first.

I do agree with you though. I have noticed that it would be nice to have the date somehow worked into the formula. I have it on my list and will see what I can do about it.

Posted by bob76 on 2007-12-04 18:18:01

Another problem is that only the first page of search results is displayed. I found that even when I typed in the exact name of one poll I that was looking for I couldn't see it, apparently because it wasn't considered "relevant" enough.

The best sort order of all, in my opinion, would be to sort the polls in order of the most recent message posted in each poll regardless of when the polls were created. I've posted messages in several polls and I've been disappointed that no one has replied to what I've written. I'd rather spend my time in polls that are currently active than waste my time posting messages in polls which have been forgotten.

Posted by Mister Poll on 2007-12-04 18:43:37

If you are searching for something like an exact title or phrase, put it in double quotes:

"life in the universe"

That should get you what you're looking for. I'll add some search tips to the search page.

I can possibly see forum activity being a factor in the "freshness" calculation of a poll. I'll experiment with that.

Posted by ben3 on 2007-12-05 00:55:41

On the old site, I liked to search for topics that I am interested in and then see what came up at the top as it would be the newest ones. With this version there is no way to find out if there are new polls on a topic you are interested in. So I think having an option to put polls in date order is important. You could have the relevancy as well, so you can choose which to use.