Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
SAFE MODE: ON HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Barefoot for Parents/Children

People Said...

Posted by parentalkiddie on 2012-04-04 22:20:29

-= [ ~ Person 1 ~ ] =-

/#1: Parental Guardian

/#2: Yes, I have children

/#3: Boys

/#4 (boys) always, sometimes, possibly

/#5: EMPTY, boys always should

/#6: Confiscate all his shoes and sock. I only agree that boys between 6 and independent living should all be barefoot most times.

/#7: Fall, Spring, Summer

/#8: 12 yrs

/#9: Alway in, out if the temp. is above 45 degrees

/#10: He/she will remain barefoot for hygienic and health concerns

/#11: Lock up their shoes and socks without them knowing, Hide their shoes and socks without them knowing

/#12: I not only would re-confiscate the shoes and sock, I'd take his shirts and underwear as well, to give him something more to worry about. Besides that, we'd go out to our lake cabin, which is WAY OUT there. My son is already home schooled. He'd live out in the woods just wearing his shorts or jeans until I said otherwise. By fall I'd expect he'd be brown as a bear, have feet as tough as leather, he'll probably know how to fish and canoe like he was born out there and he'd never want to wear shoes or shirt again. However, the way you set up your question assumes a fundamental fallacy. I don't deal with my son that way. He already spends most of his time out in the woods, So, I don't have to foist such thinking on him. He almost never wears a shirt, shoes or socks, even now, at least never if it's even slightly warm. I wouldn't have to steal from him, as you suggest. He has read up on Eastern Native American tribes and made a competent breechclout, which is what he prefers to wear. I've had some difficulty getting him to regularly wear pants, though he hasn't enough native blood in him to amount to anything, and that isn't from an Eastern tribe.

/#13: Yes, I currently enforce barefoot house rules

/#14: It just always been that way for me at our house. I like it.

/#15: At the gate.

/#16: No footwear

/#17: Flip flops or sandals

/#18: It doesn't work that way for us. I'm seldom a sneak. My son knows not to ever, never ever, wear shoes or socks when he's not in school. I'd probably tell him to bring along a pair of each for when we went into restaurants that required them. Otherwise he'd always be barefoot.

/#19: varies, barefoot

/#20: Yes, as per my own house rules, Yes, as a punishment

/#21: Shoes and socks taken away so I could not wear them

/#22: Fall, Spring, Summer

/#23: Somewhat

/#24: Your survey doesn't really fit our situation. I'm the dad. I only sometimes go barefoot or wear sandals and do so when I want to. My son is 17. He is required, per family rules, to always be barefoot around our farm unless the temperature is below 45 degrees F., unless he's only going out briefly. Then he may go out barefoot if it's somewhat colder. I'm usually the one to decide if there's a question, though he will usually just go out barefoot unless the temperature is sub-zero or the snow is deeper than his ankles. He's grown to be tough yet sensitive to the ways of the woods. It's more than footwear. The way you ask your question makes manifest that you'd never understand any answer I tried to give you.

Response: All children should be given the same liberal freedoms as adults. I'm not about to take sides, but being barefoot should be a choice for your son as it is for you. Are the best athletes seen barefoot playing sports? No. You have all the rights to believe being barefoot is "better" in all respects. You don't seem to take it too seriously as it's only done sometimes.

-= [ ~ Person 2 ~ ] =-

/#4: always, always, occasionally

/#5: sometimes, sometimes

/#6: Tell them. Be fair, but firm. Explain the reasons. If they try to avoid complying, confiscate their shoes and socks. Allow only flip-flops or Croc style shoes to be worn, without socks. Make it a rule for their friends to take off shoes and socks in your home also. Lead by example, so parents and other family should also be barefoot in the home, at relatives and friends homes.

/#7: Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer

/#8: as long as is appropriate during the day

/#9: Inside

/#11: Only allow your child to wear flip flops or sandals, Lock up their shoes and socks without them knowing

/#12: Confiscate the shoes and socks again. If the behaviour continues, then dispose of the shoes and socks and not purchase replacements until the child agrees to comply with policy.

/#13: Yes, I currently enforce barefoot house

/#14: When I was a child, my parents enforced a 'barefoot when indoors' rule.

/#15: at the door

/#16: Flip flops or sandals

/#18: Encourage the child to be barefoot. Make it a rule to be barefoot when indoors. If the child does not comply, then confiscate the shoes and socks.

/#19: sandals or flip-flops in summer, shoes and socks in winter, barefoot

/#20: Yes, as per my own house rules, Yes, as per my friends/family's house rules, Yes, as a punishment

/#22: Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer

/#23: Yes

/#24: Practical, comfortable, hygienic, healthy.

-= [ ~ Person 3 ~ ] =-

/#4: always, sometimes, maybe

/#5: not, sometimes

/#6: Sorry, but this is a false assumption because "jumping on the bandwagon" assumes I'm going to create a confrontation with my son. NOT. We have enough stupid confrontations. Since I believe it's healthful for boys to routinely be barefoot as they wander around being a boykid, I've closely regulated when he has access to his shoes and socks. He takes them off immediately when he comes home from school and only puts any on again if he's going somewhere really special. He's spent most of his summers barefoot, as well as his weekends, and school vacations. He has other rules, but that's how it is for him relating to shoes and socks.

/#8: health

/#9: where its healthy or legal

/#11: Lock up their shoes and socks without them knowing

/#12: NOT. Of course I took away my son's shoes and socks. However, he was raised from babyhood largely without them. There are times he'd prefer not to wear them; why do you think kids prefer to wear socks in most houses? Shoes are often a nuisance. My son learned this long ago. However, if I found him wearing shoe at a time he shouldn't have, and he refused to be dissuaded by ordinary reprimand, further action would be called for. We use an array of options: chores, grounding, restriction from toys or activities, confiscation of property, some corporal punishment, fines.... It would depend on what seemed likely to have the best effect.

Response: I do not care whether you agree with your children going barefoot or not. Corporal punishment is WRONG! Just because the government "can", doesn't mean you can. You may not be doing it now, but that's considered child abuse. Fine him too? How much do you expect to take from finances?

/#14: When I was a child, we did NOT go barefoot very much. My parents had been children of the Great Depression and were VERY sensitive about appearing poor to passers-by. The fact was that we had little money, but we didn't intend for people to be able to too-readily see that. So, we kids wore our shoes through most of our early childhood. There was also a couple of practical aspects to it. I grew up on a farm. There were honeybees in an old maple tree nearby, the bees from which would collect nectar from the clover in our lawn and the cherry trees in our front yard. Stepping on a bee could be problematic. Also, on the simply nasty side, there were various farm animals around. Farm kids don't restrict themselves to nice green lawns when they play. Like all kids they go looking for fun wherever fun is. And, if that happens to take a kid, with his or her cat or dog, out where the chickens, sheep, pigs, or cattle are, or have been, feet are likely to step into something nasty. Obviously, shoes in such circumstances, may be better than bare feet. However, by the time I was 13 or so, I was a bit more confident around the animals, sure of what I was or wasn't likely to step into, and besides, hormones were beginning to trigger odd feelings. I was interested in getting a tan, pretending I had muscles, and, for some reason, going barefoot was suddenly appealing. So, especially when I drove a tractor, whether it was to mow our very large lawn, or when driving for Dad for several hours in the fields, I'd often take my shirt, shoes and socks off. Tractors, in those days, didn't have cabs, so a kid could get a good tan on any exposed skin. Also, jumping off the tractor, barefoot into the deep, fresh-tilled loam, to clear a tangled tiller blade, felt just great.

/#15: first thing

/#16: Shoes and socks

/#17: Shoes and socks

/#18: I'm not crazy and I'm not a sadist. My boy wears shoes when he needs to. He just doesn't wear them if he doesn't need to. He's getting pretty capable at gauging when that is. In fact, he's stretching his limits. He needs to have shoes when we go away during the summer. We like to eat in fancy places, that means he needs shoes. We also like to roam around in woodsy places. Sometimes barefoot might work there, especially when we canoe, but Lymes disease is real and so is poison ivy. So if we're going to be on the banks much, and off the path, he needs his shoes. On the other hand, when I my son out to visit his uncle on his farm, to hoe weeds from the fields I used to drive tractor over, there he can walk barefoot on the bare dirt for miles. He spent a week at his uncle's last summer and never wore shoes the entire time.

/#19: leather, barefoot

/#20: No, I have never been forced barefoot

/#21: Question not answered

/#22: Question not answered

/#24: Depends on the situation.

-= [ ~ Person 4 ~ ] =-

/#1: Child

/#2: No, do not have children

/#3: Question not answered

/#4: Always, Barefoot, Not Barefoot

/#5: Not, Definatly

/#6: Stop them at the door and tell them to take there shoes off - this is the way from now on

/#7: Spring

/#8: Ever

/#12: No TV

/#13: No, I plan to enforce barefoot house rules

/#14: At my friends house - I was wearing Toms and slipped them off - I was barefoot and I loved it !

/#15: Later

/#16: Shoes

/#18: Let them

/#19: Shoes, None

/#20: Yes, as per my friends/family's house rules

/#22: Spring, Summer

/#24: So I can slipp them off and then have to go barefoot

-= [ ~ Person 6 ~ ] =-

/#3: Girls

/#4: always, usually, usually

/#5: always, always

/#6: My girls were teenagers, and when I made the decision, I just told them that from that day forward, there would be no shoes or socks worn in my house (myself included). I took off my shoes and socks on the spot, to prove my point, and demanded they take of their dirty (ugh!) socks. They did, though they grumbled, and ever since, I've been very firm that shoes and socks come off at the door (no exceptions). My girls are grown now, but they still follow this rule in their homes, and they've told me they were really glad I started the rule.

/#8: most of the time

/#9: as much as possible

/#12: If I caught my daughters with shoes or socks in the house, they would have been removed immediately, and the offender would have been grounded. Thankfully, my girls always complied, though they complained at first.

/#14: It was my choice. I just realized one day that shoe and socks around the house are dirty and unnecessary.

/#15: immediately

/#18: I allow them when necessary.

/#19: whatever necessary, bare feet

/#20: Yes, as per my own house rules

/#21: Allowed to keep my shoes and socks but could not wear them when specified

/#24: It's healthier and so much more comfortable to be barefoot.

-= [ ~ Person 7 ~ ] =-

/#4: always, always, always

/#5: always

/#6: Just take their shoes.

/#7: Fall, Spring, Summer

/#9: Everywhere

/#12: spanking and grounding

Response: This leads me to believe you spank often. Spanking puts a strain on a child's development. After doing it many times, it will soon causes these effects. If you are angry with your child, you may spank harder than anticipated.

/#14: I only had to wear shoes to school and often took them off on the walk home.

/#15: same time

/#18: Question not answered

/#19: none, none

/#22: Fall, Spring, Summer

/#24: no

-= [ ~ Person 8 ~ ] =-

/#3: Boys and Girls

/#4: Always. Shops, Movies

/#5: Always, Always

/#6: Steel their shoes at night an say tar we have nonmore shoes left

/#8: Ever

/#12: Hide the shoes better

/#14: I hated going barefoot but then myob stole my shoes and I was forced to go barefoot and I loved and I never put on my shoes

/#15: At the door

/#17: No footwear

/#18: Steel them on the plane

/#19: Barefoot, Barefoot

/#22: Summer

/#24: No

-= [ ~ Person 9 ~ ] =-

/#4: always, maybe, depends

/#5: d/k, all

/#6: Sorry, your plan isn't my plan. In the first place, my son has always been barefoot at home, indoors and out unless it was just bitter cold outside, he was going to be outside for longer than a few minutes or there was more than an a couple of inches of snow on the ground. For example, Clint doesn't mind (much) if I send him out, barefoot, to sweep a half inch of snow off the walk when the temperature is 35 degrees F and there is little or no wind. Our walk isn't long and, when he's done, he can come back in by the fireplace or warm air register or even on the couch under a blanket in front of his computer, X-Box or the TV. Away from home, the circumstance get more complex. I'm not going to make him be barefoot at some friend's house if the parents there don't require their kids to be, especially if it's not to clean over there. It's up to Clint to avoid stepping it foul cesspools when he's outside, but it's harder for him to recognize what's unclean when he's inside somebody's house. Generally speaking, if he's outside and the weather is better than frigid, Clint can be barefoot, but I live in an area where it can get very cold (though it didn't this winter). If it gets very cold, I won't require my son to be barefoot. I don't care who has the bandwagon. Otherwise, when the weather is warmer, I just don't give Clint any shoes. And, if it happened that I discovered that Clint cheated, that he visited some buddy without permission and, while there, wore shoes, also without permission. He find himself grounded for an appropriate period and very possibly forfeit one or more toys or other items to help him remember to ask in the future before he assumes is entitled.

/#9: as I decide

/#11: Allow your child to keep their shoes and socks, Only allow your child to wear flip flops or sandals, Lock up their shoes and socks without them knowing, Hide their shoes and socks without them knowing

/#12: Of course I took away his shoes and socks. Just because he hates being barefoot is not justification, in itself, for me to back down. Almost all of the time it's more healthful for him to be barefoot; I'm diabetic, almost all of the time it's more healthful for me not to eat fats or sugars. I hate doing that. Just because I hate doing that doesn't mean I should routinely ignore it, though I do occasionally. Occasionally I let my son wear shoes, but not often. But I don't sneak around about it behind his back; I'm upfront. We never use flipflops; they look like crap. He'd rather wear nothing than crap. He does sometimes wear some nice sandals, but we classify them as shoes. More often he just goes barefoot.

/#14: It's been that way in our house since day 1. We sort of had some question at the very beginning when Clint was first learning to walk in shoes. We sort of alternated between him running around barefoot and in his shoes, so he could learn to run around in both. After he seemed to have both down, I've tended to have him go barefoot more and more.

/#15: the front gate

/#16: Shoes and socks

/#18: I don't remove said footware. I'm neither stupid nor a fool and I don't need a war with my son. If you want a war with your kid that's your problem. My boy probably wouldn't be wearing shoes; he has more sense. The only exception might be is that he's a teen and, as with all teens, he likes to see what he can start. On the other hand, he seems to like being barefoot so I THINK I could get him to just give me his shoes. Alternately, we agree fairly well about where it's safe or reasonable for him to be barefoot. At parks, etc, he tends to want to be barefoot. When we tour historical sites, it's reasonable for him to wear footware. For me to deny him footware would be stupid. I try not to be stupid.

/#29: leather, barefoot

/#21: Question not answered

/#22: Question not answered

/#24: Mostly comfort. I have extremely flat feet. Barefeet is comfortable for short distances. For if I walk any distance I need orthotic support.

-= [ ~ Person 10 ~ ] =-

/#1: Child

/#2: No, do not have children

/#4: choose to, or

/#5: a girl, not

/#6: The children should dress how they feel comfortable

Response: Society has grown up to where schools and socks are required: schools/workplaces. If you are a nature addict, you probably won't face these issues. We shouldn't be controlling how our children dress. Susan Boyle, old woman to appear on X-Factor. The audience laughed at her appearance until they heard her sing beautifully. This isn't because I favor children not going barefoot. That is ultimately the parents decision.

/#7: Summer

/#8: when they want

/#10: I will return his/her shoes and socks as it caused humiliation.

/#11: Allow your child to keep their shoes and socks

/#12: Barefoot till further notice

/#13: Yes, I am forced to abide by barefoot house rules

/#14: I always wear shoes and socks. I won't even answer the door until I have put socks on. My mom was always on me about it and how I was ridiculous. I sometimes forgot to pick up my dirty socks and one day after a bunch of warnings my mom called me into the kitchen and told me she picked up my socks again. She said now I will be punished so that maybe next time I will remember. I was told for the next three weeks I had to go barefoot. I almost started crying. I complained and she made it six weeks and ask me if I wanted to go for more. She then took me to the store and she picked out a pair of flip flops and told me that was all I was allowed to wear and only when it was needed. When we left the store she made me sit down right in the mall and take off my shoes and socks and put the flip flops on. When we got home she took all my shoes and socks and locked them in the storage area in the garage.

/#15: when I go to bed unless I am told differently

/#16: Shoes

/#18: Question not answered

/#19: shoes, socks

/#20: Yes, as a punishment

/#21: Only allowed to wear flip flops or sandals without socks

/#22: Summer

/#23: no

/#24: I get embarrassed when my feet are bare

-= [ ~ Person 11 ~ ] =-

/#4: always, always, optional

/#5: sometimes, sometimes

/#6: just tell them straight - they must go barefoot today

/#7: Spring, Summer

/#8: as long as appropriate

/#12: confiscate shoes and socks, and give an additional punishment (e.g. grounding, loss of pocket money etc)

/#14: when i was younger, i used to go visit a friend's house. my friend had to be barefoot in his own home, but the rule for guests was shoes-off and socks only, or barefoot optional. I didn't want to take my shoes off as I was embrasssed but when he parents found out i was wearing shoes in the house, they made me take off both my shoes and socks, and I had to be barefoot. this rule was extended for every time i visited my friend

/#15: straight away

/#18: take away shoes and socks in the night, when they are sleeping

Response: Fantastic idea

/#19: shoes, barefoot

/#20: Yes, as per my own house rules, Yes, as per my friends/family's house rules, Yes, as a punishment

/#23: Somewhat

/#24: health, hygiene and keeps floors clean

-= [ ~ Person 12 ~ ] =-

/#3: Boys and Girls

/#4: always, always, always

/#5: never, always

/#6: Rip their footwear off their feet and take footwear from their room. Lock it up.

/#8: ever

/#12: Their shoes and socks will be destroyed so they can never wear them again.

/#14: Question not answered

/#15: immediately

/#17: No footwear

/#18: Simply take off his/her footwear and leave it ar home.

/#19: barefoot, barefoot

/#21: Allowed to keep my shoes and socks but could not wear them when specified

/#24: Barefoot is healthier.

-= [ ~ Person 13 ~ ] =-

/#1:

/#2:

/#3:

/#4:

/#5: