Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
SAFE MODE: ON HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

Short trousers for all schoolboys

Shorts at home

Posted by Cornelius19 on 2011-05-10 07:42:19

Dear Robbie,

I think South Africa is one of the few remaining countries were most school children still wear uniform until they leave school at 16 to 19. I have heard that New Zealand and Australia are similar but I know grey school shorts are uncommon in the UK beyond 10 or 11 (I have never been out of SA so I cannot talk from experience).

Most boys here wear short trousers until 14 or 15 but in some of the private schools like mine boys often wear shorts into sixth form and until they leave school at 18 or 19. My school allows sixth formers to wear longs but all other boys must wear grey shorts. I chose to stay in short trousers and was not forced to do so by my parents. In fact they expected me to want longs when I entered sixth form at 17 but I tried them on in the school outfitters and hated the feel of the material around my knees. I have not worn long trousers since and hope to stay in shorts for as long as possible.

There are about 70 boys in sixth form and eight wear short trousers either like me out of choice of because their parents keep them in shorts. It is not a big issue here and the nobody takes any notice whether a boy wears longs or shorts. Looking younger than my age is a definite advantage as I am small and can pass for 13 or 14 so I do not look like a much older boy in shorts and I have been told by my parents friends I look good in shorts. If I was tall I would not be so keen as a big tall boy of 19 would look out of place in short trousers especially away from school.

Cornelius

Cornelius_vandewelt@yahoo.com

Posted by Robbie Essex on 2011-05-14 20:51:01

Dear Cornelius

South Africa sounds a great place with shorts being so popular. However it may be much easier to bo a committed shorts wearer. For example average yearly temperatures in centigrade. London UK 10c. Cape Town 17c. This must increase the discomfort of longs and the comfort of shorts. In such a warm country it is surprising so few boys choose shorts in sixth form.

I am glad it is your decision to wear shorts in sixth form. It would be wrong for your parents to make this decision for you at your age. I think it is not practical to force boys much beyond 14 to wear shorts. I hope no sixth form boys are being forced to wear short trousers to school by their parents. While bare knees feel more natural you should stay in shorts.

Finding longs uncomfortable at the school outfitters must have been awkward. Having to announce you did not want longs and had decided to continue to wear shorts.

I have noticed a post in another poll about you wearing short trouser uniform to church. Many people in our country would consider this disrespectfull. I disagree with this view. It is respecting God to wear shorts if God has given you a body which looks best in shorts. Do other boys your age wear short trouser uniform to church.?

I know being small and young looking for your age can be both helpful and fun but it should not influence your decisions. I was also small and young looking. I use to get away with reduced fares on puplic transport up to age 24. Full fare was over 14 or over 16 if in school uniform.

Robbie

Posted by Cornelius19 on 2011-05-16 20:49:28

Dear Robbie,

Short trousers are far more comfortable than longs whether it is winter or summer. I tried on a pair of longs in the school outfitters two years ago and hated having material around my knees. I couldn't wait to put my grey school shorts back on. My parents were surprised at first when I told them at 17 that I would like to stay wearing shorts but now they are happy with the decision and say I can wear short trousers for as long as I want.

I agree boys should not be forced to stay in short trousers but I know there are a few boys here in sixth form who remain in shorts because their parents will not allow them long trousers. Actually they look good in short trousers and I can understand why their parents want them to continue to wear them. I think short grey trousers look far nicer as part of a schoolboy uniform than longs but I know most older boys would disagree.

Other boys attend my church in short trousers and uniform but I am the oldest. The next oldest is a boy of 17 and there are a few of 15 and 16. I am respectful of God and the Church and feel honoured and pleased to wear my smart school uniform every Sunday.

When you managed to get reduced fares on public transport at 24 were you wearing short trousers and school uniform? How were you treated? Did your parents know you still wore short trousers at this age? Did you still live at home? You were very fortunate to be able to look so young and I hope I can still wear shorts at 24.

Cornelius

Cornelius_vandewelt@yahoo.com

Posted by gorangle on 2011-09-14 13:10:30

My mum insisted that I wore shorts at home. They were pretty short, so I always had a lot of thigh on show. Something to do with keeping me in my place. I didn't like it but it was supposed to be good for me, I don't know how.

The subject was never up for discussion. She said I was to wear shorts, and that was that.

Posted by Robbie Essex on 2011-09-17 16:41:34

Dear Cornelius

I am sorry I did not reply to your message. For several weeks everytime I tried to log onto Mr Poll I had computer trouble. The rest of the time my computer was working fine. So I just stopped using Mr.Poll.

Your question about how I use to get reduced fares on public transport up to 24. I had no special tricks. I was just both small and young looking. So there is no reactions from other people. I have never dressed as an adult schoolboy. The only time I use to wear casual shorts was on holiday. As I was small most my clothes were the largest size in boyswear rather than menswear. The colours and designs of these clothes were often a bit brighter or juvenile looking. When I use to ask for a ticket I would give enough money for an adult fare and accept the change given.

The only time I had real embarrasment being charge reduced rate. I was wearing light grey trousers, sky blue jumper, white shirt and a tie. Nothing was planned by me. I went to the theatre with my Mum and Dad and they were charged childs rate for me. What made it worst was my Dad pointed the mistake but the lady in ticket office jut said I was far too young and cute looking to have an adult ticket. She made a load of over nice remarks about how well dressed I for a young person. I was 24 and she convinced herself I was under 14. I felt that small that night. My Mum was so pleased about me looking that young that she told relations and friends about that night for weeks. Causing me even more embarrassment. After that night with regret I started dressing more adult and less juvenile.

Are you still at school or are you a college now?. Do you still wear short trousers?.

Best regards

Robbie