Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?
SAFE MODE: ON HOME DIRECTORY SEARCH RANDOM POLL MAKE A POLL

School swimwear

Come on!.....

Posted by ian on 2001-12-07 15:47:12

There is a strong smell of TROLL in some of the replies, or wishfull thinking! Particularly looking at the claimed ages of the majority of participants! What IS true however is that back in the 60's/70's and early 80's boys usually DID wear shorts only, (with no underwear) and girls DID wear vests and gymn knickers (the thick green ones usually) and pe was frequently done in bare feet, BUT ONLY INDOORS! Outdoor games kit was usually rather different, and shoes would always have been worn. At this time, compulsory nude swimming was fairly common for boys in both the UK and US, but NEVER for girls, and co-ed swimming with the boys nude just would NOT have happened above about age 9 and was probably VERY rare below that age! Showering was normally done naked, but again I think it unlikely that mixed changing rooms or showers existed above age 8-9. I know it happened, because when I was at school in 1968-1981, we always swam naked in school, at the YMCA and at Cub and Scout camp etc, and we DID have to wear only shorts for pe!

As for people claiming that it happens now, get real! It hasn't happened since the late 80's when the press started seeing pedophiles on every street corner and terrified the parents! Most kids today won't even shower naked in singe sex groups. sad really....

Posted by yfenniuk on 2002-02-08 13:03:32

========== In Reply To ========== There is a strong smell of TROLL in some of the replies, or wishfull thinking! Particularly looking at the claimed ages of the majority of participants! What IS true however is that back in the 60's/70's and early 80's boys usually DID wear shorts only, (with no underwear) and girls DID wear vests and gymn knickers (the thick green ones usually) and pe was frequently done in bare feet, BUT ONLY INDOORS! Outdoor games kit was usually rather different, and shoes would always have been worn. At this time, compulsory nude swimming was fairly common for boys in both the UK and US, but NEVER for girls, and co-ed swimming with the boys nude just would NOT have happened above about age 9 and was probably VERY rare below that age! Showering was normally done naked, but again I think it unlikely that mixed changing rooms or showers existed above age 8-9. I know it happened, because when I was at school in 1968-1981, we always swam naked in school, at the YMCA and at Cub and Scout camp etc, and we DID have to wear only shorts for pe!

As for people claiming that it happens now, get real! It hasn't happened since the late 80's when the press started seeing pedophiles on every street corner and terrified the parents! Most kids today won't even shower naked in singe sex groups. sad really....

One thing is certain. Although there was no nudity at school when I was there in the late forties and eaarly fifties (UK)P.E. was always practised with no tops and baggy shorts and NO underwear. Thus, in certain circumstances the "private parts" (what a ridiculous expression!) could often be seen, and no-one thought anything about it.

Posted by Craig A on 2003-04-05 07:08:37

You're quite right.

At my Primary school (Scotland, late 60s/early 70s) boys and girls did gym together. ALthough girls were allowed tops, boys were not but it was no big deal. Barefeet for all. We only had swimming in primary 7 which was mixed and costumes had to be worn or you sat out.

In Secondary (70's) boys and girls were separated for all PE - different changing rooms, separate gyms and showers and never were in the pool at at the same time. Don't know what the girls wore and never felt the need to ask.

Boys always just wore shorts in the gym - no tops and barefeet. Naked for swimming - always with shower before and after.

No one questioned - it was the norm.

Although we were ocassionally topless outdoor (e.g. cross country) we ALWAYS wore shoes and shorts.

========== In Reply To ========== There is a strong smell of TROLL in some of the replies, or wishfull thinking! Particularly looking at the claimed ages of the majority of participants! What IS true however is that back in the 60's/70's and early 80's boys usually DID wear shorts only, (with no underwear) and girls DID wear vests and gymn knickers (the thick green ones usually) and pe was frequently done in bare feet, BUT ONLY INDOORS! Outdoor games kit was usually rather different, and shoes would always have been worn. At this time, compulsory nude swimming was fairly common for boys in both the UK and US, but NEVER for girls, and co-ed swimming with the boys nude just would NOT have happened above about age 9 and was probably VERY rare below that age! Showering was normally done naked, but again I think it unlikely that mixed changing rooms or showers existed above age 8-9. I know it happened, because when I was at school in 1968-1981, we always swam naked in school, at the YMCA and at Cub and Scout camp etc, and we DID have to wear only shorts for pe!

Posted by beltedboyuk on 2003-04-07 23:15:51

I agree. At my private school in Scotland (I left mid 80s) we had nude swimming (boys only) all through secondary up until 6th year (ie up to 18 years of age). We had mixed swimming in primary (up to 11 years) where we were naked by the girls wore costumes. Whenever we had mixed PE though the boys always wore at least a pair of shorts (or briefs in dance classes).

========== In Reply To ========== You're quite right.

At my Primary school (Scotland, late 60s/early 70s) boys and girls did gym together. ALthough girls were allowed tops, boys were not but it was no big deal. Barefeet for all. We only had swimming in primary 7 which was mixed and costumes had to be worn or you sat out.

In Secondary (70's) boys and girls were separated for all PE - different changing rooms, separate gyms and showers and never were in the pool at at the same time. Don't know what the girls wore and never felt the need to ask.

Boys always just wore shorts in the gym - no tops and barefeet. Naked for swimming - always with shower before and after.

No one questioned - it was the norm.

Although we were ocassionally topless outdoor (e.g. cross country) we ALWAYS wore shoes and shorts.